The organs of Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2024 Vincent Hildebrandt HOME ALL ORGANS

Palais du Trocadéro

Palais de Chaillot

Place du Trocadéro, 75016 Paris
1878 - Cavaillé-Coll 1938 - Gonzalez 1977 - Danion-Gonzalez 2013 - Michel Gaillard (Aubertin)
In 1878, a large concert hall was inaugurated in Paris at the Trocadéro, on the hill of Chaillot, to face and serve as a backdrop for the Universal Exhibition held on the other side of the Seine, on the Champ de Mars. The Architect is Gabriel Davioud. In the wake of the Commune, the intention was to offer Paris its first public concert hall (all the others were private) and its first secular organ. The construction of the organ was entrusted to the most famous French organ builder of the time: Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, who already had experience in hall organs, with those of Sheffield (1873) and the Palais de l'Industrie in Amsterdam (1875). This mythical organ (IV/66) was inaugurated on 7 August 1878 by Alexandre Guilmant. Plus d’informations… On the occasion of the Universal Exhibition held on the Champ de Mars in 1937, the Palais du Trocadéro was destroyed and replaced by an esplanade and a new palace, the Palais de Chaillot. The design of the new complex was entrusted to Louis-Hippolyte Boileau, Jacques Carlu and Léon Azéma (the brothers Édouard and Jean Niermans built the interior of the auditorium itself). Marcel Dupré was in charge of supervising the removal and reinstallation of the Cavaillé-Coll organ. Cavaillé-Coll's romantic organ was transformed into a neo-classical organ, more in keeping with the taste of the day. It is electrified and extended by fifteen stops. The contract was won by Victor Gonzalez and his son Fernand. André Marchal was appointed titular and gave his first recital on 10 March. Norbert Dufourcq was appointed artistic director of the organ. Plus d’informations… From 1961 onwards, the theatre took an increasing place in the life of the auditorium. The instrument is entering a phase of decline. The coup de grace came in 1972 when the company of the Théâtre National Populaire left for Villeurbanne. The hall is now home to the Théâtre National de Chaillot, and Jack Lang, the new director, decided to completely rebuild it. On this occasion, the organ was definitively removed. In 1977, the organ was transferred to the Maurice-Ravel Auditorium in Lyon by Danion-Gonzalez. The layout remained largely the same, using much of the 1938 material. Restoration in 2013 by Michel Gaillard (Aubertin organ factory). Plus d’informations… Audio improvisation of André Marchal : nous n’irons plus au bois rare shots of the organ of the Palais de Chaillot, more particularly during the organ advancing on the stage
Composition 1878/1937 (G=Gonzalez) (Source: Wikipedia) Composition 1977
Alexandre Guilmant
Marcel Dupré
André Fleury on the organ of the Palais de Chaillot
Victor Gonzalez showing the smallest and the largest pipe of the organ of the Palais de Chaillot
Organs of Paris

Palais du

Trocadéro

Palais de Chaillot

Place du Trocadéro, 75016 Paris
ORGANS OF PARIS © 2024 Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
1900 - Charles Mutin

III/39

In 1878, a large concert hall was inaugurated in Paris at the Trocadéro, on the hill of Chaillot, to face and serve as a backdrop for the Universal Exhibition held on the other side of the Seine, on the Champ de Mars. The Architect is Gabriel Davioud. In the wake of the Commune, the intention was to offer Paris its first public concert hall (all the others were private) and its first secular organ. The construction of the organ was entrusted to the most famous French organ builder of the time: Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, who already had experience in hall organs, with those of Sheffield (1873) and the Palais de l'Industrie in Amsterdam (1875). This mythical organ (IV/66) was inaugurated on 7 August 1878 by Alexandre Guilmant. Plus d’informations… On the occasion of the Universal Exhibition held on the Champ de Mars in 1937, the Palais du Trocadéro was destroyed and replaced by an esplanade and a new palace, the Palais de Chaillot. The design of the new complex was entrusted to Louis-Hippolyte Boileau, Jacques Carlu and Léon Azéma (the brothers Édouard and Jean Niermans built the interior of the auditorium itself). Marcel Dupré was in charge of supervising the removal and reinstallation of the Cavaillé-Coll organ. Cavaillé- Coll's romantic organ was transformed into a neo- classical organ, more in keeping with the taste of the day. It is electrified and extended by fifteen stops. The contract was won by Victor Gonzalez and his son Fernand. André Marchal was appointed titular and gave his first recital on 10 March. Norbert Dufourcq was appointed artistic director of the organ. Plus d’informations… From 1961 onwards, the theatre took an increasing place in the life of the auditorium. The instrument is entering a phase of decline. The coup de grace came in 1972 when the company of the Théâtre National Populaire left for Villeurbanne. The hall is now home to the Théâtre National de Chaillot, and Jack Lang, the new director, decided to completely rebuild it. On this occasion, the organ was definitively removed. In 1977, the organ was transferred to the Maurice-Ravel Auditorium in Lyon by Danion-Gonzalez. The layout remained largely the same, using much of the 1938 material. Restoration in 2013 by Michel Gaillard (Aubertin organ factory). Plus d’informations… Audio improvisation of André Marchal : nous n’irons plus au bois rare shots of the organ of the Palais de Chaillot, more particularly during the organ advancing on the stage
In 1878, a large concert hall was inaugurated in Paris at the Trocadéro, on the hill of Chaillot, to face and serve as a backdrop for the Universal Exhibition held on the other side of the Seine, on the Champ de Mars. The Architect is Gabriel Davioud. In the wake of the Commune, the intention was to offer Paris its first public concert hall (all the others were private) and its first secular organ. The construction of the organ was entrusted to the most famous French organ builder of the time: Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, who already had experience in hall organs, with those of Sheffield (1873) and the Palais de l'Industrie in Amsterdam (1875). This mythical organ (IV/66) was inaugurated on 7 August 1878 by Alexandre Guilmant. Plus d’informations… On the occasion of the Universal Exhibition held on the Champ de Mars in 1937, the Palais du Trocadéro was destroyed and replaced by an esplanade and a new palace, the Palais de Chaillot. The design of the new complex was entrusted to Louis-Hippolyte Boileau, Jacques Carlu and Léon Azéma (the brothers Édouard and Jean Niermans built the interior of the auditorium itself). Marcel Dupré was in charge of supervising the removal and reinstallation of the Cavaillé-Coll organ. Cavaillé- Coll's romantic organ was transformed into a neo- classical organ, more in keeping with the taste of the day. It is electrified and extended by fifteen stops. The contract was won by Victor Gonzalez and his son Fernand. André Marchal was appointed titular and gave his first recital on 10 March. Norbert Dufourcq was appointed artistic director of the organ. Plus d’informations… From 1961 onwards, the theatre took an increasing place in the life of the auditorium. The instrument is entering a phase of decline. The coup de grace came in 1972 when the company of the Théâtre National Populaire left for Villeurbanne. The hall is now home to the Théâtre National de Chaillot, and Jack Lang, the new director, decided to completely rebuild it. On this occasion, the organ was definitively removed. In 1977, the organ was transferred to the Maurice-Ravel Auditorium in Lyon by Danion-Gonzalez. The layout remained largely the same, using much of the 1938 material. Restoration in 2013 by Michel Gaillard (Aubertin organ factory). Plus d’informations… Audio improvisation André Marchal : nous n’irons plus au bois rare shots of the organ of the Palais de Chaillot, more particularly during the organ advancing on the stage
Alexandre Guilmant