ORGANS OF PARIS © 2023 Vincent Hildebrandt ALL ORGANS
The present temple was built in 1895-1898 by
architect Felix Paumier in a neo-Romanesque
style. It replaced a wooden chapel erected in
1834. In 1972, the church was divided
horizontally. The first floor thus became the place
of worship, while the ground floor has many
meeting rooms. The space of worship is
illuminated by beautiful coloured glass windows
with geometric patterns made by the Léon Avenet
The organ was built in 1898 by Joseph Merklin (buffet
designed by Félix Paumier). It was the last instrument built by
Joseph Merklin before his retirement in 1890. He introduced
his new pneumatic transmission system, which he patented
on 20 April 1898. On November 14, 1898, two days after Henri
Dallier's inauguration of the instrument, Joseph Merklin sold
his business to his successors Guttschenritter and Decock,
who electrified the wind tunnel in 1913.
After meticulous maintenance throughout the 20th century,
the instrument was scrupulously restored by Muhleisen in
1995. The instrument was inaugurated by André Stricker and
In 2009, the two wind reservoirs were restored. In 2019, the
instrument was overhauled by Muhleisen.
This organ can therefore be considered a totally authentic
example of an organ built by Merklin. It is unfortunate, however,
that the acoustics of the building are so dry, following the division
of the temple in two.
Noël Hazebroucq et al.
Service with organ
Sunday 10:30 AM